As a musician, taking care of your body and mind is paramount. But pursuing a career in music doesn’t always seem conducive to a healthy lifestyle! If you’re a musician, it can take a little extra effort to put self-care first
The article from Dotted Music, titled “6 Essential Self-Care Tips for Musicians,” offers valuable advice for musicians to maintain their health and well-being, especially while on tour. Here’s a summary of the key points:
- Move Your Body Offstage: It emphasizes the importance of physical activity beyond performing on stage. Musicians are encouraged to explore pedestrian-friendly areas during their tours to stay active.
- Seek Help for Substance Abuse: The article acknowledges the prevalence of substance abuse in the music industry and advises musicians struggling with addiction to consider rehab options, highlighting the availability of insurance-covered facilities.
- Maintain a Consistent Sleep Schedule: Recognizing the challenges of getting enough sleep on tour, it suggests setting a “bedtime” and creating a comfortable sleeping environment to ensure adequate rest.
- Eat Nutritious Meals: The importance of a healthy diet is stressed, with recommendations to stock up on fruits, vegetables, and protein-rich snacks, and to choose healthier dining options while touring.
- Stay Hydrated: Hydration is crucial for performance, and the article advises drinking plenty of water and keeping teas with honey, ginger, and lemon on hand, especially for vocalists.
- Try Virtual Therapy: For mental health support, it suggests considering online therapy, which can be more accessible for musicians who are frequently on the road.
The article concludes by reinforcing the idea that musicians can excel in their careers without neglecting their health, and it encourages them to adopt these self-care practices.