Music industry experts CMU take a deep-dive look at everything that happened in AI and the music business during 2023. Bookmark this for later!
The article from Complete Music Update, titled “Artificial Intelligence and the music industry in 2023,” authored by Chris Cooke, delves into the evolving relationship between AI and the music industry throughout 2023. Here’s a summary of the key points:
Evolution of AI in Music
- CMU has been closely monitoring the intersection of AI and the music industry, offering training and workshops to help industry professionals understand AI’s challenges, opportunities, and necessary awareness.
- The rapid advancement of AI technologies has become a significant talking point within the music industry, exploring how AI can enhance creative and commercial opportunities.
AI Technologies and Music Creation
- Generative AI models, like ChatGPT, have sparked interest in the music industry. These models can create content, including music, based on their training.
- Notable developments in 2023 include MusicGen by Meta, Lyria and MusicLM by Google Deepmind/Alphabet, MuseNet from OpenAI, and Stable Audio by Stability AI.
- AI tools are being used for various aspects of music creation, such as songwriting, transforming vocals, and mastering.
Industry Response and Adaptation
- Surveys by Ditto and TuneCore revealed a significant percentage of artists using AI in their creative process.
- Major music companies and labels, like Universal Music and Warner Music, have engaged in partnerships with AI companies to develop new products and experiences.
AI and Copyright Disputes
- A major debate in the industry revolves around the use of copyrighted material for training AI models. The music industry insists on the need for permission, while AI companies often argue for fair use.
- The US Copyright Office has received submissions from both sides, with AI companies claiming fair use and the music industry emphasizing the need for copyright protection.
Transparency and Labelling in AI Music
- The music industry is advocating for transparency regarding the datasets used to train AI models and clear labeling of AI-generated content.
- This debate includes whether labeling requirements should apply only to entirely AI-generated music or also to music where AI assists in the creative process.
- Balancing Innovation and Rights: How can the music industry balance the innovative potential of AI with the protection of artists’ rights and copyrights?
- AI’s Role in Music Creation: As AI becomes more integrated into music creation, what implications might this have for the definition and value of originality and creativity in music?
- Future of AI in Music: Considering the rapid advancements in AI, what might the music industry look like in the next five years with the continued integration of AI technologies?
This article provides a comprehensive overview of the state of AI in the music industry in 2023, highlighting the technological advancements, industry responses, legal debates, and future implications.